Monday, December 19, 2005

 

A new blog ...

Hello and welcome to my third and newest blog: Shock Culture Reverse.

This blog is about the process a returning expat goes through on his return to his homeland after some time abroad. In my case, I am returning to the United States after about five years in London and India (chronicled in my earlier two blogs: This Is My London and Bangalore Torpedo.

In my case, the culture shock is not just from coming home. It's from moving from urban environments -- Brooklyn, London and Bangalore -- to a suburban one. We will be living in a small town near Summit, N.J. (Diane has already found us a place to live).

I have lived in cities nearly all my life, so this should be an interesting change: from subways to lawns, from busy city streets to busy shopping malls.

I will have a native guide. My wife, Diane, grew up in The Garden State, as New Jersey is known. That should help.

I am writing this in a British Airways lounge. We arrive in New Jersey later today. Stay tuned.

Comments:
Hi,

I have returned to Australia from 5 years in London and I know what you mean. Its very hard. I feel a bit like an alien and its taking a long time to settle back in - on the work front and socially.

The majority of people my age are married with kids or at least in long-term relationships. Its different to London where you are meeting new people all the time - I miss that excitement and the possibilities that lifestyle throws up all the time.

I have started an Aussie blog at www.lifeafterlondon.blogspot.com and am hoping people will read it and add their comments on the whole returning expat experience.

It would be great if there was more of a dialogue on the topic.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?