Wednesday, February 08, 2006

 

Superb Owl

After a hiatus of at least five years, I got to watch the Super Bowl on Sunday. It was a lot of fun, and I made sure Jay got a look at this American ritual.

I am not a sports fan and rarely watch any kind of game on TV. But, in this age of 500 cable TV channels, the Internet, etc., there are very few events that bring all (or nearly all) Americans together. This is one of them. Watching is almost mandatory.

As I watched the pregame show (Stevie Wonder!), the game and the half-time show (the Rolling Stones!), I found myself remembering how good we are at putting on a spectacle. And let's not forget the commercials, some of them very, very good.

All in all, a lot of fun.

As for the title of this post: a friend of mine who is a native of Scotland says that when he first arrived in the States he saw a billboard for the "Superbowl" and innocently asked American colleagues what was all the fuss about the "superb owl."

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?