Sunday, February 26, 2006

 

Sylvan Heaven

The weekend before this one, I went for a walk in the Great Swamp National Wildlife Refuge first thing in the morning. I was the only one in the refuge, and it was very peaceful. I walked through the forest swamp on a boardwalk path -- which still had some ice on it, so I had to walk carefully.

The 0.4-mile path leads to a bird blind, where I enjoyed watching lots of English, or house, sparrows, three blue jays, and a northern cardinal, among others, jockey for birdseed at a feeder. It was cold but not uncomfortable. When I had seen enough of the bird show, I turned back.

Then came the surprise -- though, looking back, I should not have been surprised. Two white tail deer that I'd spooked with my noisy hiking boots suddenly bounded into view and away. I only know they were white tails because that's about all I caught sight of as they fled. Wonderful.

Postscript: Today, Jay and I were driving back from a shopping trip (a mall, where else?) when we came upon a group of five white tails, including what looked like a younger deer. I stopped the car to allow them to cross the road. Four ran across. A fifth hesitated for a second, then realizing we were staying put, caught up with the rest.

OK, it IS the suburbs. But these suburbs are a little wilder than I'd expected. And I'm very happy about that.

Comments:
Don't know, but I live in New Jersey. Different state. And I don't know about Jersey either.

I will find out. If I start seeing people outdoors wearing orange vests, I'll know that deer are hunted.
 
Central Park has ALL kinds of wildlife, including peregrine falcons. But no white tail deer (unless things have REALLY changed since I left).
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?