Tuesday, April 04, 2006

 

Checking out the birds

With the advent of spring and warmer weather, I've been seeing a lot more birds and different kinds of birds from the train to and from work, and at the Great Swamp Wildlife refuge.

From the train, I've seen a lot of Canadian geese and ducks, swimming in the lakes and streams of the Meadowlands, the great expanse of wetland that you pass through on your way from inland New Jersey to communities along the Hudson like Weehawken or Hoboken.

The Meadowlands, which bear the marks of decades of industrialization but still retain a trace of wildness, have a reputation for being heavily polluted.

When I told some of my co-workers about my commuter birdwatching, they joked that the ducks and geese glow in the dark.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?